The beginning of the 2016-17 school year is a couple of weeks away and Giles County's educators are gearing up for their students' return.
Teachers, many having already worked in their classrooms over the summer, are scheduled to start in-service training this week.
Aug. 1 is a half-day for students, Aug. 2 is a teacher workday and Aug. 3 is the first full day of school for students, parents and school faculty alike, open houses provide an important opportunity for communication to get the year started off on the right foot.
With that in mind, most of Giles County's schools have open houses scheduled for next week as orientation sessions for parents and students.
Here is the schedule for open houses at Giles County schools.
• Minor Hill School Open House will be Tuesday, July 26, with a hot dog supper at 5:30 p.m. and gathering in the gym at 6 p.m.
• Pulaski Elementary School Open House will be Tuesday, July 26, at 5 p.m.
• Elkton School Open House is Thursday, July 28, and will start in the school gym at 6 p.m.
• Giles County High School invites all incoming freshmen parents to an informational Parent Night Thursday, July 28, at 5:30 p.m. in the school auditorium. All freshmen students (class of 2020) are encouraged to attend Freshmen Orientation (Fish Camp) Saturday, July 30, from 8:30 a.m.-3 p.m. Students will receive their schedules and be given a campus tour, complete team-building activities and view skits and programs on school rules and acceptable behavior. Lunch will be provided. To register, call Jamie Bedingfield, 242-5589.
• Richland Elementary School Open House is Thursday, July 28. Pre-k - second will meet from 5:30-6:30 p.m. Third - fifth will meet from 7-8 p.m. Students and parents will find out about the dress code and the importance of attendance. New Chromebooks will be given to students in the applicable grades and students and parents will meet their teachers.
• Southside Elementary School will host an Open House Thursday, July 28. Third graders will meet at the school at 5 p.m. Fourth graders will assemble at 6 p.m. Fifth graders will have their turn at 7 p.m. Students will have an opportunity to meet their teachers, tour the school and learn about expectations. There will also be a dress code fashion show.
• Bridgeforth Middle School will have Open House Monday, Aug. 1, at 4:45 p.m. Students and parents will assemble first in the gym for a dress code fashion show and other information. Next they will go to their homerooms, get their schedules and walk through their schedules. Chromebooks for sixth graders will be distributed and refreshments will be served in the cafeteria.
• No date has been announced for Richland School's open house.